Following weeks of torrential rain, storms, wind and flooding, I restart my Haphazard tour following almost 3 weeks of suspension. Today I will aim for Norfolk in eastern England and the seaside town of Great Yarmouth.*
In event organising circles, weather is usually the biggest risk and the best laid plans can quickly go awry if weather contingency has not been built-in. Since picking up Brook on June 2nd it has rained most days, with weather warnings and some severe flooding caused by a month of rainfall in a few hours.
I stayed at friends places and attempted day trips but cold wet days in mid-summer do not make people particularly conducive to chatting about ideas.
Fortunately, no damage or cost has been incurred, instead I was able to attend some of art degree shows and a major conference on Ai, which also struggled to stay operational.
Learning From Event Organising
This last few weeks can be seen as a good metaphor for Haphazardness, where expectations do not meet reality.
*Updated 21 June 2019. The plan was to head to Norwich yesterday but huge storm clouds appeared and decided to hold off until today.